OSI Junior Barrow Competition
Ontario Pork Congress
Junior Barrow Competition
Thursday June 20, 2013
Grand Champion Showman 2012
David Van Dyk accepts his award from Adam Rae, OPC President
Champion Pig Overall 2012
To All Junior Barrow Contestants:
The Ontario Pork Congress will be holding the Junior Barrow Competition on June 20, 2013
at the Stratford Rotary Complex. This year we will be bringing the Junior Barrow Show back to the Pork Congress. The Junior Barrow Show will be held in an outdoor tent on the west side of the AgriPlex in the afternoon of June 20th. NOTE: there will be no live hogs on the show grounds until the second day of the show. We hope this change will make the Junior Barrow Show a more integral feature of Ontario Pork Congress, bringing diversity and engaging youth and their families in the Pork Congress.
The entry deadline is March 4, 2013
. Weigh-on will happen over a longer period this year – March 30th to April 11th. Please note that Chris Crump, Ontario Swine Improvement (OSI), will contact you to arrange a mutually agreed date for weigh-on.
Awards to all contestants will be presented at the Junior Barrow Show following all activities on Wednesday June 20th. Barrows will be sold to Conestoga Meat Packers and will receive a 110 index.
If you have any questions, please contact Lori Moser, OPC office, firstname.lastname@example.org
All entrants will have an opportunity to win a digital camera
at the Show.
See you at the Show on June 20, 2013.
2. Weigh-on of Barrows
- Boys and girls 9-21 as of January 1, 2013.
- Eligible to participate in 4-H.
- Entries must be postmarked by March 4, 2013.
: Mar. 30 to Apr. 11, 2013.
3. Weigh-off of Barrows:
- Each contestant may weigh on up to four barrows. A maximum of two barrows may be shown per class at the Ontario Pork Congress (Classes 5,6,7 & 8).
- Barrows must not weigh more than 30 kg. on Mar.30, 2013 and allow 1/2 kg/day for pigs weighed on test after Mar.31st. Barrows must be castrated prior to weigh-on.
- Suitable scales to be supplied by contestant. A check weight will be applied to the scale used for weigh-on. If the scale is out by plus or minus 1 kilo, changes can be made to correct the scale. If change does not correct the scale, barrows will not be weighed on and contestant will not be allowed to show at the Jr. Barrow competition.
- Weigh-on date in your area may be dictated.
June 20, 2013, 1:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m.
- All barrows must bear a legible tattoo supplied by the Congress committee at the date of weigh-on or barrows will be disqualified.
- Barrows will be weighed, probed, and ear tagged the day of the show.
- Junior barrows arriving at the O.P.C. after 2:00 p.m. may not be accepted. If an entrant is not going to exhibit the day of the show or is unavoidably delayed, please call Chris Crump at (519-902-4969). We appreciate your co-operation.
The Junior Barrow Show will begin at 3:00 p.m. with the Showmanship classes. All ages as of January 1, 2013.
Class 1 - Senior Showmanship - 16 to 21 years of age
Class 2 - Junior Showmanship - 12 to 15 years of age
Class 3 - Novice Showmanship - 9 and 11 years of age (plus first time contestants up to the age of 14)
Class 4 - Championship Showmanship
Class 5 - Crossbred Barrows (this class will be split into heavy and light by weight at the show)
5. Showmanship Rules
6. Scoring of Barrows for Prize Money
- Showmanship must be done with one of the barrows you bring to the Ontario Pork Congress.
- Only canes will be allowed in the show ring to guide the pig. No rubber or plastic hoses, etc.
- No oiling, powdering or artificial coloring allowed.
- Exhibitors who show in the Champion Showman Class must show the same barrow that was used in the individual showmanship classes.
Scoring to be as follows:
Average Daily Gain - 20 points
Visual Appraisal - 40 points
Back Fat and Loin Eye* - 40 points
*Back Fat and Loin Eye is converted to what it would have been/will be at 115kg, and placed on Conestoga’s Heavy Grid.
7. Prize Money
(Prize money paid on accumulated points)
$200; $180; $160; $140; $130; $120;$115;$110;$105;$100;
11th to 15th-$85
16th to 20th-$65
21st to 30th-$45
31st to 40th-$35
For each class: $30; $28; $26; $25; $24; $23; $22; $21; $20; $19.
Overall Champion Swine Showman - $50 plus the President's Cane.
Overall Reserve Swine Showman - $35.
8. Other Rules
- If any barrows upon slaughter are found to be a ridgling, all prize money and trophies must be forfeited and the exhibitor shall receive payment on the basis of a ridgling carcass.
- Cash awards pending sponsorship in lieu of auction.
- The winner of each of the Novice, Junior and Senior Showmanship classes will each be awarded a digital camera. A draw will be held for an additional digital camera for all contestants who are not winners in the showmanship categories.
- A draw will be held for an additional digital camera for all contestants who are not winners in the showmanship categories.
- Lyle Heldmann Award for Grace under Pressure – Judge’s Choice - $100 plus keeper.
- All barrows will be sold to Conestoga Meat Packers and will receive a 110 index.
- Each competitor is responsible for showing and feeding their own barrow until loaded on the truck.
- Eligibility of barrows at the Competition is at the discretion of the Jr. Barrow Committee.
Please click here to download the Junior Barrow Cover Letter
Please click here to download the Junior Barrow entry form